Eclipse Patagonia 2020 - Option Three - Estancia Huechahue
ABOUT THE ESTANCIA HUECHAHUE
Estancia Huechahue, Junín de los Andes
Huechahue is the real deal! This 15,000 acre working ranch is set in the foothills of the Andes, amid breathtaking northern Patagonia landscapes. Huechahue is a pioneer of Argentine riding holidays and offers guests a rare, authentic experience of the Argentine ranch tradition.
- 70 km from San Martin de los Andes
- Combines superb riding, walking, fishing and other activities with the best, informal Argentine hospitality
- 12 rooms -
- Wifi in rooms
- Delicious food (much of it produced on the farm) and all drinks with meals included
- Sustainability – the farm produces much of its own organic food (and energy!). Almost entirely self-sufficient, as it has always had to be
- Superb riding experience for novice up to expert. Faster, more challenging riding available
- Some of the finest trout fly fishing in the world, surrounded by the rivers Chimehuin, Alumine, Malleo, Quilquihue and Collon Cura. Guests float and fish from drift boats or wade on stretches of river with private access.
3 nights inclusive of all meals and standard activities
Riding for all levels – please ask us for additional information
Fly fishing – please ask us for more details
Walking – NUMEROUS beautiful hikes – again, please ask for more details
Birdwatching - Huechahue is ideal for birdwatching. It is uniquely situated within easy striking distance of a number of different ecological areas: the high Patagonian steppe, grasslands, wetlands and various forests (cypress, southern beech and the endemic araucaria, more commonly known in English as the monkey puzzle tree). Each of these offers a different range of bird species.
Approximately 200 species have been registered in the area, and quite a few of these can be seen on the estancia itself. There is a rocky outcrop close by where condors can regularly be seen circling at dusk and waiting each morning for the thermals to build up. Only a few minutes away is the well-known Collón Curá valley, where a number of raptor species and many water fowl (including flamingos) can easily be seen.
We can usually arrange for local birdwatchers to accompany guests on walks or visits to other nearby birding sites.
Rafting – This can be organised as a half day rafting expeditions on the Chimehuin river. This is gentle fun rafting with spectacular views of the Lanín Volcano.
Local history – Mapuche Indians and before, early European settlers
Tours of the Lanin National Park to see lakes, Lanin Volcano, the southern beech forests (largest temperate forests in the world) and Monkey Puzzle trees.
Shopping and local culture in Junin de los Andes and San Martin de los Andes. Lonely Planet describes church in Junin de los Andes as the most picturesque in Patagonia there is also the Stations of the Cross walk – the first 2 saints to be beatified in Argentina were from the area. In San Martin there is the Che Guevara museum (he travelled through this area on his Motorcycle diaries trip) and art galleries showing paintings from local artists. San Martin has lots of shopping and Junin has the best gaucho shop where they make all the rawhide belts etc beautifully done by hand.